Asking “what will a home renovation project in Madison WI cost?” is the first question homeowners consider. It’s a critical, valid question. Unfortunately, it can be like asking “how much is a new car?” There are so many variables there is no easy answer. Working with a professional to create a custom interior design plan brings all the elements into focus. Including evaluating the many choices, options and steps in the process.
Most homeowners are shocked by the complexity of even a simple home remodeling project; even if it’s just one room. They don’t realize they are asking for a major disruption in their life. Committing to a makeover in the kitchen or bathroom means it will be inaccessible for days or weeks. The time a project takes is the other big question to ask. TV shows get a major project done in an hour – not revealing it took 6-8 months in real time. The process begins well before an interior design team enters the picture.
Step-by-step Home Renovation Overview
The process begins when you decide it is time for a change. Going from start to finish breaks down into 5 general stages:
- Stage 1 – Research: from the time you decide you want to make a change to the time you sign a contract with a professional designer. You gather information, review what you like, don’t like, must have and would like. Depending upon your needs this stage takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months or longer.
- Stage 2 – Serious planning: an interior design professional works with you to create a detailed blueprint of what to do, when and at what cost. Materials are reviewed and selected. The extent of the project dictates the timeline – from 2 to 6 months is reasonable.
- Stage 3 – Pre-construction: your design team creates working drawings, obtains permits and orders materials. This stage might take 2-3 months depending upon the permitting process and special orders.
- Stage 4 – Construction: when the hard work begins. Depending upon the extent of a project this stage will take 4-6 weeks.
- Stage 5 – Finishing: when the sawdust settles and the design elements truly shine. Expect a month or more.
- The Interior Design Takes Shape
Once your design team completes its review of your space it provides options and ideas. A formal proposal includes an outline of pricing and a payment plan plus a timeline and a firm start date. When you agree upon a final plan the “fun” begins. The “shopping” stage includes picking out tile, flooring, fixtures, wall and window treatments plus cabinetry and hardware.
During the pre-construction period there’s a lot going on. While you’re deciding on what color to paint the walls your professional designer is securing the required permits and lining up all the specialists. The pre-construction stage can be frustrating. Municipalities don’t always issue permits quickly and materials aren’t always readily available. Special orders for custom cabinetry might take months to get in. Special tiles require advanced orders.
When it comes to home renovation sticker shock, there are two stumbling blocks for homeowners – how much it costs and how long it takes. That’s where a skilled, experienced design team comes in to ease the stress and keep the project flowing efficiently.
Coordinated Efforts Anchor Home Renovation
A detailed home remodeling plan does not come together overnight. Attention to detail at every stage is crucial. For a single room of a whole house, it takes a coordinated and skilled team. Enlisting the skill and experience of a professional design firm insures you’ll be aware of all the critical details. Call, email or visit our Madison showroom to see how your vision for change is possible. Or team of perceptive interior design professionals brings home renovation dreams to life in Madison WI.